Wednesday, May 8, 2019
(1865) 文書 to my friend, Ralph
Ralph,
The number of men I´ve seen fall in battle is a number too high to count to. I am home now. I am finally with my children, my parents, and my loving wife. I survived, yes, yet I am not happy. I feel as if I am living in a house unfamiliar to me. I have seen too much. Learned too much. Know too much...
The screams of dying soldiers have been engraved into my mind and no matter what, all I see is death and bullets.
I´ve been awfully nervous lately. The slightest pop or rattle has put me in shock and made my veins freeze and skin pale. I don´t even want to be around my children anymore. My family must think I am mad for doing such things. I write to you because I am afraid I cannot tell anyone else. My father is too proud, having a retired war Major for a son. My mother is getting old and could never understand my pain. I do not want to worry Milly with my sickness. For once, I just want peace and to leave this Earth, knowing I did something for my country. I recently fought at the battle at Saylor´s Creek, though it wasn´t very eventful. We have already lost the war and many of us were too tired and weak to fight. From what I heard, over 1/3 of us surrendered including me. General Lee was a little shocked by this news. All I am glad of is that Lincoln has forgiven us. Although I disagree with him about slavery, I am too exhausted to argue. So tired... So very tired......
I hope to see you again soon to discuss things. I just want to feel at home again. Whether it be on a little plantation in Virginia, or behind the pearly gates in the stars.
Regards,
Major George Otott
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Massachusetts 54 Poem
Massachusetts 54 poem Morale was high at The beginning but it kept Getting worse and worse They marched constantly Soldiers did not h...
No comments:
Post a Comment